Steve's Home Poker Blog > Variance kicked my ass in Vegas
This time I stayed at Aria. We got a room on 50th floor with a view of the Palms and mountains. Aria has great poker room rates for a 5 star - $99 on weeknights and $139 on weekends. You're "required" to play 5 hours per day but this isn't really the case. Kathleen, who booked my room for me, said it's not an official requirement. Aria also counts tourney hours towards the 5 hour/day requirement, and when I busted out of a tourney after 3 hours of play she credited me for the full 5 hours for 1 day. There was lots of 1/3 action in the poker room a little tougher than MGM, but still lots of bad players. The 2/5 was tougher than MGM on Wednesday and Thursday nights, but on Friday there were lots of bad players (too bad they sucked out on me). The afternoon tourney is a good structure - 8000 starting chips, 25/50 starting blinds, and 30 minute levels.
Unfortunately variance finally caught up with me in Vegas...here's a summary of how things went down:
- Lost a $250 pot when my King high flush ran into an Ace high flush.
- Lost a $200 pot when I got all my opponent's chips in on the turn as an 80% favorite to win.
- Lost a $200 pot when I got my opponent's chips in on flop as a 72% favorite to win.
- Lost a $475 pot when I got all my opponent's chips in on the turn as a 93% favorite to win.
- Lost a $475 pot when I got all my opponent's chips in pre flop as a 70% favorite to win.
- Busted out of a tourney on bubble when I was an 82% favorite to win on flop. I would have been chip leader, with a 25BB lead over the current chip leader, 5 players left, and the tourney paid $2200 for first place.
- Finally I figured I lost about $550 from being card dead/making bad plays.
Now I've had to drop down from 500 NL to 300 NL because my bankroll isn't big enough for 2/5 anymore!
So I'm 7 wins and 1 loss now in Vegas:
- Vegas Trip #1 +900
- Vegas Trip #2 +900
- Vegas Trip #3 +1000
- Vegas Trip #4 +680
- Vegas Trip #5 +425
- Vegas Trip #6 +700
- Vegas Trip #7 +770
- Vegas Trip #8 -2413
What a disaster! The only good thing that comes out of this is that there's no pressure on me to win next trip.
Please Login to add a comment.
New to Home Poker Tour? Register HERE!